About the Summer Company Program
The Summer Company program is an entrepreneurship program for students aged 15 to 29 that provides funding up to $3,000 as well as hands-on training and mentoring to start and run a company over the summer.
"After being in the Summer Company program, we definitely see entrepreneurship as a career choice. [Through the program] we were able to see such a variety of business owners, passions, skills and talents. The Summer Company program, alongside YSpace, has truly shown us that with such an amazing community supporting you, anything is possible." — Ashley Man, Co-founder of Trophy Wives (Summer Company 2021)
- Go to high school, college or university
- Live in Markham, Ontario
- Are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Are between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent or guardian must sign the agreement for the applicant)
- Are not already running a business
- Are returning to school after the program ends
- Following the Canada Revenue Agency definition of being self-employed
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
Able to work over the summer program period:
- a minimum of 280 hours if you’re a high school student
- a minimum of 420 hours if you’re a post-secondary student
We may approve exceptions.
You must meet all of the above requirements.
You cannot apply again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past.
How to Apply
- Review the eligibility checklist and program guidelines for the program.
- Complete a business plan [PDF] and cash flow statement [DOC] for your company using the templates.
- Name your respective files as "FirstName_LastName_BusinessPlan" and "FirstName_LastName_CashFlowStatement" and save both as PDFs
- Fill in the online application and upload your business plan and cash flow statement.
- Once we receive your application, we will review your application and work with you on your business plan and cash flow to ensure your success.
- For qualified applicants, we will invite you for a final stage interview.
- We will let you know if you qualify for the Summer Company grant funding.
Spots are limited. Apply early!
High School deadline to apply: May 30, 2022
University and College deadline to apply: April 1, 2022
Please note that only applications submitted through our online application form will be accepted. Please do not apply using the Province of Ontario's Summer Company login system.
Program Start Dates
High school program start date: July 2022
College and University program start date: May 2022